Keepin' Up With the Tidwells

Tuesday, July 7, 2015

Staycation 2015

As I said in my previous post, we had originally planned on heading south last week.  It was the week before Fletcher started his new job an we had a break in commitments.  It seemed like a good plan until the month of June hit.  It was an overwhelming month with more going on than I can get into.  Needless to say, the thought of packing and heading out for a week had lost its excitement and the idea of staying home and recouping was calling our names.  Staying home doesn't really mean not doing anything.  Have you met my children?  They are busy, busy, busy!  We planned out some fun things to do around our local area and got to play tourist.  We started Monday off with a 7-mile canoe trip down the Coldwater River.  It was beautiful and a good workout.  One observation:  River people really exist....it was hard to ignore the sign that read "Paddle faster!  I hear banjos!"

Tuesday I took the boys to the Blue Angels practice at the Naval Aviation Museum.  They do their full show in these rehearsals without all the crowds.....LOVE!  We've seen them fly several times and it never gets old.  I'm always amazed and impressed! 

Wednesday was our down day.  Our sweet friends invited us to a low country boil and swimming later in the afternoon, so I used the morning to catch up on a few things.  I thought for sure the boys could entertain themselves for a bit while I caught up on laundry and cleaning, etc.  Well, they definitely entertained themselves!  It got a little quiet in the house, so Fletcher checked outside on them only to find them swimming in the reclaimed water "new pond" they found.  YUCK!  Fletcher threw the boys in the bathtub and scrubbed them clean.  All was well....aside from the shoe Bennett lost in the "new YUCKY pond."  About 30 minutes later we heard some shuffling in the garage only to find Beau had climbed up on the top of the storage shelves with a bungee cord trying to make a "zipline."  A zipline?!  To where?  Why would this be a good idea?  Questions that never entered his mind!  Then, I'm working in the kitchen on a dessert to take to our friends' house when I hear banging in the playroom.  The boys had gotten all my almonds, pistachios, and crackers and were crushing them with the hammer.  What in the world?!!!!  They're making homemade birdseed.....yes, homemade birdseed.  That's expensive birdseed!  Almonds are expensive!  We've got a new rule now that I didn't know I needed in place.....no making birdseed in the house.  Luckily the boys survived the day and made it to our friends for the low country boil.  Fletcher and I, on the other hand, felt like we'd been put through the ringer!

Thursday we road our bikes to our neighborhood pool and then took the boys to the Wahoos game.  It's one of our favorite things to do!  It never disappoints to spend a night cheering on our Blue Wahoos!


Friday we spent the afternoon on the boat with friends.  Beau paddle boarded, I visited with friends, and Fletcher fished.  Fun was had by all!


Saturday was July 4th!  It's one of our favorite holidays in the year and we celebrate big.  This year we spent the afternoon with some sweet friends, the Owens family.  They have a beautiful home on the water, so the kids stayed entertained jumping off the dock and playing on the floats.  After the fish fry, we loaded on the boat to head over and watch the fireworks on the Blackwater River.  It was a wonderful way to celebrate Independence Day!  I would say we had a successful staycation!  I hope the boys would agree!



No comments:

Post a Comment